Intellijoint Surgical is looking for a Director of Engineering. In this role, you will provide leadership and direction across various cross functional engineering teams including software development, mechanical engineering and UI/UX. You will play an integral role in preparing the teams for scale while ensuring optimal efficiency of those teams in order to achieve goals and build outstanding products. You will also foster a strong cross functional relationship with product management as we continue to develop and launch innovative new products to improve patient outcomes. This role will report directly to our Chief Technology Officer and will be a key part of our R&D leadership team.
As a snapshot, we are looking for someone who is:
- Possesses strong coaching and leadership skills
- Has strong multidisciplinary engineering fundamentals
- Has led technical teams, including software development teams that have built new products
Is balanced, fair, approachable, pragmatic, and articulate
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly manage a team of 5 - 10 people
- Constantly analyze and evaluate the team, develop hiring strategies and execute in order to scale
- Drive the performance of the engineering team by:
- Cultivating a high-performance culture that promotes Intellijoint values of being Collaborative, Community-oriented, Thoughtful, Energetic, and Nimble
- Providing constant training opportunities
- Coaching and supporting your team to achieve their goals
- Providing technical mentorship
- Communicating in an effective manner
- Equipping the team with tools to ensure optimal efficiency
- Developing and instilling processes
- Collaborate with project leadership and product management
- Collaborate with senior management to ensure engineering team activities are in line with company strategy and tactics
- Resource planning
- Risk management
- Identify, vet, and manage contract resources, where applicable
- To build up the people and process to help Intellijoint meet ambitious growth and product development goals
- To be effective at managing multiple engineering disciplines
Required Skills and Experience
- Previous work in a multidisciplinary engineering environment, preferably in a highly regulated industry
- Strong understanding of modern software development processes and exposure to agile software development
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing an engineering related team within a scaling organization
- University Degree in a technical or engineering relevant field
- Ability to plan, prioritize, communicate, negotiate and problem solve.
Expectations and Employee Experience
- It is unrealistic for us to believe we will find someone who fits this position 100%
- Be passionate about growth, both personally and professionally and know that we will support you along the way
- Work hard each and every day but know that you will be rewarded for that hard work
- Be ok with change, this will happen as we scale but this should be seen as exciting and something you want
- You can expect that we help you be you!
- Flexibility so that you can do your best both at work and outside of it
- Relaxed yet professional workplace that encourages inclusivity
- An understanding of how your performance is measured
- Culture = Passion: we have a ton of passion for the product, improving patients’ lives and working collaboratively to achieve common goals
- Oh ya, some amazing social events too! These will be formal, informal, scheduled and pop up out of no where. Be prepared, we like to work hard but have some fun too!
If you aren’t happy about these expectations, we may not be the company for you. If you are happy, great! We would love to hear from you!
The Journey, Mission and Future of Intellijoint
- What we are doing is “improving patients’ lives by providing every surgeon with effective, easy-to-use technology.”
- Born out of a University of Waterloo final year design project, our product improves the accuracy of hip replacements
- In a nut shell, Intellijoint HIP® provides surgeons with real-time, interoperative measurements to ensure proper positioning of orthopaedic implants during Total Hip Arthroplasty.
- Already, our product is being used in thousands of surgeries that spread throughout the United States, Canada and Australia and we will continue to look at expansion into other areas.
To apply, please visit our job board. This is a full time, permanent position based at Intellijoint Surgical’s main office in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Please submit cover letter and resume for consideration. Only selected applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you!